Industries are the major establishments that significantly contribute to Green House Gases (GHGs). As per the national greenhouse inventory, direct emissions from industrial sources accounted for nearly 21% of the total Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions from the country. In Madhya Pradesh, most of the industries are mining based especially because of its abundant mineral wealth like limestone, coal, bauxite, iron ore, silica etc. Besides these, there are manufacturing facilities of public sector undertakings like BHEL, National Fertilisers Ltd., Ordinance Factory, and Currency Printing Press etc. Till January 2011, the State had 733 large and medium industrial units providing livelihoods to about 1.75 lakh people. Obsolete and inefficient technology still used in many industries leads to high energy consumption. Industrial business model economy is of prime importance while society and environment have a little say in deciding the activity. Effluents of untreated waste in nearby areas and non- compliance of environmental standards by many industries are a major concern. Diversion of fertile land for industrial use, and employment generation through industrialisation will make the weaker section of the society more vulnerable to Climate Change.
- Review of MP Industrial Policy 2004 to address Climate Change concerns
- Implementation of Perform, Achieve and Trade Mechanism
- Avail opportunities of carbon market for mitigation
- Integrated water management plan for industrial clusters
- Effective industrial waste management and pollution control
- Build Industry Network on the themes of Reuse and Recycle.
- Impetus to Climate Change relevant research and development
- Capacity building of personnel and institutions to integrate Climate Change concerns in planning and actions.
The National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) has been developed keeping in mind the UNFCCC objectives and a sustainable development path for the country. There are 8 national missions for implementation of the NAPCC:
- April 06, 2015
- Resources Type: Publications
The state governments in India have been advised by MoEF to formulate a State Action Plan on Climate Change (SAPCC) in line with the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC).
- October 14, 2014
- Resources Type: Research Reports
This Policy Brief on the industrial sector outlines the strategies to strengthen development planning towards building a more climate-resilient State. It aims to promote the integration of appropriate adaptation/mitigation strategies into the State’s development policies and programmes.
- May 28, 2014
- Resources Type: Policy Briefs